StatPlanet Open Source release date:
- StatPlanet - Open Source version - May, 2019
StatPlanet Cloud release dates:
- StatPlanet Cloud 2.0 - January, 2018
- StatPlanet Cloud 1.2 - May 2017
- StatPlanet Cloud 1.1 - February, 2017
- StatPlanet Cloud 1.0 - July, 2016
StatPlanet release dates:
- StatPlanet 3.4 - September, 2015
- StatPlanet 3.3 - September, 2014
- StatPlanet 3.2 - May, 2013
- StatPlanet 3.11 - January, 2013
- StatPlanet 3.1 - December, 2012
- StatPlanet 3.0 - February, 2012
- StatPlanet 2.4 - May, 2011
- StatPlanet 2.3 - December, 2010
- StatPlanet 2.2 - March, 2010
- StatPlanet 2.1 - October, 2009
- StatPlanet 2.0 - August, 2009
- StatPlanet 1.3 - May, 2009
- StatPlanet 1.2 - February, 2009
- StatPlanet 1.1 - December, 2008
- StatPlanet 1.0 - October, 2008
StatTrends release dates:
- StatTrends 2.0 - December, 2013
- StatTrends 1.1 - December, 2011
- StatTrends 1.0 - December, 2011
Jump to: 2018 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007
StatPlanet Cloud v 2.0 released
- Combined column and line chart: enabling the comparison of any two indicators over time for one map area.
- Combined column and mark chart: enabling the comparison of all map areas across two time points.
- Customizable help splash screen
- Interactive storytelling: use story panel 'actions', to enable a sequence of actions to be defined to go along with a story panel text. Actions can include selecting a graph type, selecting specific map areas, selecting a specific year/time range, and zooming into a particular map region. Each indicator can have sets of actions and corresponding story text, with next/previous buttons to go forward/backward through the story you wish to tell.
- Share button: to share a link to the current visualization.
- Print button: print the map / graph and any meta data or story text.
- Interface improvements for selecting multiple indicators.
- Added support for categorical maps
- Added XML / SDMX-ML support.
- Improved loading times: by splitting the data into smaller data files, and loading them on an on-demand basis.
StatPlanet Cloud v 1.0 released
Upcoming data management features:
- Improved data importing: Faster data importing, greater flexibility of import data formats, and support for importing large data sets (over 100,000 rows of data).
- Easier updating of data: The import macro can detect existing categories and replace them during import, so you can easily update just parts of your data set.
- Data structure importing: Even complete data structures with nested sub-categories (and sub-sub-categories, etc.) can be automatically imported. This requires a 'structure' template outlining the hierarchy of categories, and listing indicators which should go under each category.
- Define meta data separately: Meta data is defined in a separate sheet, so it can be managed independently from the data. This facilitates updating data while keeping the meta data the same. Meta data includes indicator descriptions, text for the story panel, map legends, units, and indicator-level customization options.
- New tools: A set of tools will help you automate all aspects of importing and organizing your data and meta data. They include a tool to automatically import story panel meta data and save them as text files (to reduce loading time), and a tool to easily hide or unhide certain indicators prior to publishing.
StatPlanet Plus 3.5 upcoming features:
- Improved map points: Multi-line label options with custom width, handle visibility separately from regular map labels, anchor map title to map to use as a title/header above map points.
- Multi-language: Support for international character sets without font embedding, so new character sets can be supported on the fly and without increasing the file size / load time.
- Custom popup position: Fix popup position, rather than move to cursor (variables 'POPUP-X' and 'POPUP-Y', useful especially for anchoring popups with many indicators to a fixed position.
StatPlanet Plus 3.4 released:
- Automatic importing of locations (e.g. cities, landmarks) by address or latitude/longitude coordinates - try the demo
- Layout flexibility: maps with narrow width but large height were previously blocked by the top panels. Now a gap can be created between the indicators and graph panels, using the settings variable 'GR-OFFSET'.
- Create advanced category structures with up to 9 levels (up from 4 levels).
- Set the map region and/or zoom level when switching from one category to another.
- Set decimal places at the indicator level.
- Set the number of indicators to display in the roll-over popup.
- When switching category, if the same indicator name is found it will automatically be selected (set variable 'IND-S' to FALSE to disable).
- Indicator-level roll-over popups can include links (single or double click).
- New customization options for locations or 'map points': scale by zoom level, border color and transparency, option to hide when there is no data (variables 'M-DOT-B', 'M-DOT-A', 'M-DOT-SC', and 'M-DOT-TR').
- StatPlanet Plus 3.3 released
- Added the option to import multiple Excel sheets in one go, with each sheet becoming a category. This allows you to import an entire database with mutliple categories, multiple indicators within a category, and multiple time periods within a category/set of indicators. This option is enabled by default. To disable it, please go to the sheet 'Import names' and uncheck the box "Import all sheets".
Improved story panel, with a "maximize" icon to make the contents more readable, a help icon with customizable text, and a new option to load text from an external file or web-page (customizable for each indicator).
Graphs can (optionally) display the unit next to the axes, from the UNIT column in the StatPlanet Data Editor.
Graphs now scale according to the data for the selected time / year, rather than for the entire time / year series, reverting to the latter only for animations. (It is still possible to set the graph scale according to the entire time / year series, as in previous versions).
- Two new add-on modules are available:
- Multiple Indicators Graph module: Display and analyze multiple indicators over time for a particular map area or variable
- Multiple Indicators Stacked Area Chart module: Create stacked area graphs displaying the cumulated totals of indicators over time, for the selected map area.
- "Hands-on" training materials released (PowerPoint format)
StatPlanet is now available in 12 languages (Bahasa Indonesia, Danish,Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese Brazilian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese).
- StatPlanet Plus 3.2 released
New interface components and options:
- New 'Story panel' to display stories or 'descriptive text' for each indicator. The text can be formatted using HTML, with support for image embedding and links to web-pages or documents. The text can either be embedded in the data file or be retrieved from an external file.
- Improved Table panel, with new options to display data for all years/time units, and/or data for all indicators in the current category, as well as new customization options (StatPlanet Data Editor, sheet 'settings', under 'Table options').
- Improved Selection panel, with a new button to select all map areas, and the option to add/combine multiple regions from the dropdown menu using SHIFT.
- Improved share link to current indicator feature (optional icon in the bottom-left corner of the interface), which now also includes the selected time/year and graph.
- HTML support added for indicator descriptions, and a new option to include popup descriptions for categories.
New graph options:
- New options to set the default number of graph divisions (gridlines), either 'globally' or specifically for each indicator (see also 'Graph options' in the User Guide).
- New options to show/hide graph labels in the view menu and an option to always show graph labels in the Options panel (by default labels only show if it appears there is sufficient space). These can also be pre-set via the settings.
- Improved display of negative numbers in bar charts, automatically adjusting the scale to display negative numbers with bars in the opposite direction (in previous versions of StatPlanet this required one to fix the scale in the data file).
New map options:
- New option to embed external images/icons in place of the default circle for the proportional symbol map (through the corresponding icon in the bottom-left corner of the interface).
- Improved map legend, now with support for up 20 map legend ranges or categories for both quantitative and qualitative (categorical) maps. The map legend also has a new option to select all areas within a data range through the map legend edit popup.
StatPlanet Plus modules:
- New Data Encryption module.
- Improved Composite Indicator module.
ZIPPED data files:
If data files are ZIPPED, it is recommended that the filename is specified in the HTML embed code (as in some server configurations this caused StatPlanet to freeze on startup). The file StatPlanet_options.html in the 'web' directory includes the required embed code. In this file, the following line:
flashvars.data = "data.csv";
Would need to be changed to:
flashvars.data = "data.zip";
- StatPlanet Plus 3.11 released
- Includes a 'reset button' in the popup for editing map legend values, as well as in the popup for editing graph values. This restores the map / graph to the original values.
- StatPlanet Data Editor shapefile map setup has been improved.
- Fixed line graph issue when using non-time-based information in the 'TIME' column.
- StatPlanet Plus 3.1 released
- New graph type: vertical bubble chart.
- Trendline graphs now adjust according to the available data/year range.
- Display target/benchmark lines with optional labels & values in graphs, which can be defined for all years/dates or for each year/date specifically (*StatPlanet Plus only).
- Graph min/max value edits are saved within a StatPlanet session (when leaving and returning to an indicator).
- New customization options (sheet 'settings', under 'Graph options').
Dynamically load data from a database: (*StatPlanet Plus only)
- Data can now be passed on directly through the web-page, bypassing the need for a data file.
- See the User Guide for more details ('Loading data from a database').
New interface options:
- Display the main categories in the top of the screen through a horizontal menu. (*StatPlanet Plus only).
- Organize indicators in the indicator panel into groups (see the User Guide for details) (*StatPlanet Plus only).
- Customize the startup and help screen (see the User Guide for details).
- Customize the indicator statistics displayed by indicator (total, mean, standard deviation and range) (*StatPlanet Plus only).
- Various other customization options (such as the positioning and size of the data table).
- Keyboard shortcuts added: press one or two keys to jump to a country / map area, up/down to navigate indicators, left/right to navigate categories.
Improved maps: (StatPlanet Plus only)
- Improved map points (scale along with the zoom level, text labels automatically placed next to map points).
- Fully customizable map area popups with control over formatting, definable by indicator, map area and year.
- External map or image overlay option (e.g. to display static maps from images for some / all indicators).
- New sections added corresponding to the new customization options.
- It is now licensed under Creative Commons.
- StatPlanet Plus is fully backward compatible with the previous versions up to version 2.x, except for a few changes in setting parameters:
- The format of parameters for custom graph ranges / colors has changed - please see the User Guide, section 6.2 "Graph options" for more details.
- The format of the parameter for putting indicator-bars on the same scale is now indicated as "sc=[same]" instead of "samescale".
- The format of the parameter to keep displaying all figures in numbers over a million is now indicated as "nr=[nodiv]" instead of "nodiv".
- Fixed issue where some values were not shown in the time series for non-yearly data.
- Fixed issue where sometimes the standard deviation value was 'reset' to 0.
- Fixed issue where sub-menus could go off-screen. For very wide menus this can still occur, but a new settings variable 'MENU-W' can set limits to the maximum menu width.
- Fixed overlapping map region issue, where a map region inside another map region disappears.
- Fixed compatibility issue between the custom groups option in the indicators panel and custom map legends.
- StatTrends and StatTrends Plus 1.1 released:
- Optimized version for mobile included
- Export options added to StatTrends plus
- Fixed bubble graph scale text issue
- StatTrends and StatTrends Plus released (formerly "Graph Maker").
- StatPlanet World Bank 2.1 released
- Updated interface.
- StatPlanet World Bank 2.0 released
- Added search, updated interface, new map regions, updated political map boundaries.
- StatPlanet Map Maker 2.4 released
- Support added for alternate time units (e.g. months, weeks, quarters);
- Support for multiple map layers, e.g. to show changing boundaries over time;
- Indicator popup can include mean, standard deviation, range, country/map region with highest/lowest value;
- Data sources can be specified by indicator as well as by category;
- New customization options (map title, add 'mean' to indicator bars, graph label size, "txt" data format option);
- Updated interface.
- StatPlanet Plus 2.4 additional features:
- Drag-and-drop cities and other points of interest onto your map;
- Custom Flash map version added;
- Shapefile version now also supports proportional symbol maps.
- New language translations:
- Russian translation, courtesy of Andrey Loschilov.
- Danish translation, courtesy of Peter Erbs-Maibing, Research Centre for Prevention and Health, Denmark.
- Greek translation.
- StatPlanet World Bank wins first prize in the Apps for Development competition.
- StatPlanet Plus updated: added USA version, fixed problem with loading some shapefile maps, as well as an issue in displaying international character sets. Added new international character sets.
- Portuguese (Brazilian) translation added, courtesy of the Instituto Centro de Vida.
- StatPlanet World Bank released - explore over 3000 World Bank indicators.
- International character sets added to StatPlanet Plus.
- World stats: new data added on out of school children and PISA reading, math & science scores.
- StatPlanet Map Maker 2.3 released*
- Easier map legend customization: copy/paste map customizations from StatPlanet into the StatPlanet Data Editor;
- Visualization: animated time-series graph; bullet graph option;
- Text labels added automatically for custom maps with drag-and-drop positioning in StatPlanet;
- Simplified data structure (data.csv), with settings in a separate file (settings.csv).
- StatPanet Data Editor 1.4 released:
- New customization options;
- Improved data importing.
- IFPRI's Food Security Case Maps released in partnership with StatPlanet: Mapping Food Security & Climate Change Scenarios.
- GDX2StatPlanet released. (GDX = GAMS Data Exchange). GAMS is a high-level modeling system. Read more.
- StatPlanet Plus released
- an advanced version of StatPlanet for visualizing large data sets.
- Shapefile maps with over 250 regions supported.
- UNDP Human Development Report 2010 released with StatPlanet.
- New data added: Drugs and Crime.
- New data added: Language, Political, and Environment (Elevation extremes, Waste).
- StatPlanet Map Maker 2.2 released
- new graph types: bullet graph and scatterplot trails graph;
- USA map added;
- various interface improvements.
- StatPlanet Lite released:
- support for loading GIS shapefiles
- world and USA maps included;
- StatPanet Data Editor 1.3 released:
- additional customization options (see sheet 'Settings');
- scatterplot bubble colors can now be defined in the custom regions section
- New data added (Agriculture, Digital Divide and Health).
- New instructional videos added
- StatPlanet Map Maker 2.1 released:
- customizable map legend:
- create qualitative maps;
- set custom map values, labels and colors for each indicator.
- new customization options.
- StatPanet Data Editor 1.2 released:
- improved interface for easier editing;
- improved detection and reporting of errors.
- StatWorld - desktop version released.
- over 250 world development indicators;
- modify appearance and settings by editing settings.csv.
- StatPlanet Map Maker 2.0 released:
- option to insert your own Flash map using the included template (.FLA);
- added time slider - animate changes over time;
- updated interface, including new graph panel interface.
- New data added (economy and education enrolment indicators).
- StatPlanet Graph Maker released:
- Visualize any kind of data through interactive graphs.
- World stats: new data on the quality of education in Latin America (LLECE), environment (UNDP) and children's health (UNICEF).
- StatPlanet Map Maker 1.3 released:
- new graph options (time series graph, scale scatter plot bubbles according to a third indicator);
- added country selection window;
- various interface improvements.
- StatPanet Data Editor 1.1 released:
- improved data import function, including automatic recognition of data structure, improved detection of country names;
- new customization options (interface colors);
- fixed incompatibility issue with older versions of Excel.
- StatPlanet Map Maker 1.2 released
- various interface improvements (e.g. category selection, bar chart auto-resizing, placement of country names in the scatter plot).
- World stats: new data from UNDP, UNAIDS, UNSTATS and IMF.
- Translated into French, Spanish and Dutch.
- StatPanet Map Maker 1.1 released
- automatic data importing through the StatPlanet Data Editor
- customization options added (appearance, settings and text translation).
- StatPlanet updated (web version):
- save the current map as an image (PNG or JPG, select image size in the options window);
- export the data as a CSV file.
- StatPlanet Map Maker 1.0 released
- Public demo of StatPlanet beta, Pedagogical Faultlines conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands.